Family Law and Relationship Property

The Family Law Team at Boyle Mathieson have a wealth of experience in all areas of family practice, and bring years of well-developed legal expertise to your situation.

Each of our family lawyers is an excellent communicator and understands the sensitivity required when dealing with relationship issues. Together they can help you with the following:

  • Relationship property
  • Contracting out agreements / property agreements 
  • Relationship property disputes
  • Child care and protection
  • Parenting (childcare arrangements)
  • Guardianship
  • Child support 
  • Divorce / dissolution of marriage 
  • Paternity issues
  • Spousal maintenance
  • Care of the elderly (Personal Property Securities Act 1999)
  • Family violence and protection orders
  • Adoption

We understand that family lawyers are required at difficult and sensitive times and our team will understandingly guide you through the legal process.

Legal Aid
Give us a call to find out if you qualify for Legal Aid. 

Contracting Out Agreements / Property Agreements
These agreements allow you to contract out of relationship property legislation. Many couples choose to enter into these agreements to ensure that their property arrangements reflect their intentions. These agreements can also be especially important if you are entering a second relationship or if you have unequal financial situations. We are able to help with the following matters:

  • Drafting contracting out agreements / property agreements
  • Negotiating the terms of the contracting out agreement
  • Explaining your rights and entitlements under the law
  • Providing independent advice on a contracting out agreement when a different law firm has prepared the agreement   

The New Zealand Law Society also has a useful guide to relationship property which you can access by clicking here.

Care of Children / Child Law 
Our family law team have significant experience in handling legal arrangements relating to children. They are sensitive to your situation and are able to help with the following matters:

  • Negotiating childcare arrangements
  • Making guardianship applications and handling disputes
  • Applying for parenting orders
  • Breaches of parenting orders
  • Preparing parenting agreements
  • Preparing for family dispute resolution
  • Child relocation disputes 
  • Orders preventing removal of children from New Zealand
  • Child support
  • CYFS / Oranga Tamariki proceedings

The New Zealand Law Society also has a useful guide to what happens to children in a relationship breakdown which you can access by clicking here.

If you need legal advice relating to your family or any of these issues, please contact our Family Law Team today.

Sign up to receive legal updates